Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Honey & spice poached pear


Only a short post today as I have some French lessons and laundry waiting impatiently for me to get to them.

I love desserts, and I tend to make at least two to three per week. I also tend to be the one who eats 90% of said desserts, and if, like most, they are packed full of sugar, it's not such a good thing. I could scale back to one dessert per week, but I am stubborn and simply have too many recipes to that need to be tried. Therefore, I aim to find a dessert now and then that isn't 'really bad' health wise.
This particular dessert is a single serving of fruit with only some honey to sweeten it, and spices to bring it to life. You can't get a healthier yet still sweetly satisfying dessert.

ease: 5/5.
prep time: 5mins.
cooking time: approx 20mins depending on the ripeness of the pears.
total: 25mins.

taste: 4/5. Simple and scrumptious.

I personally loved its simplicity and subtle sweetness. The spices work like clockwork together to create a warm and pleasant depth of flavour.

I used 4tsp of minced ginger and I doubled the spices (except the vanilla)

My sugar-addicted husband and father said these were a 'touch bland', so for the mouths that don't appreciate subtlety and flavour not derived from sugar, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of melted chocolate and I'm sure they will fall for this dish too. I love it as it is and think it's a fantastic healthier dessert. 

Would I make it again: Yes. This would be great as a sweet treat for kids.

recipe: Honey & spice poached pears

6 comments:

  1. this is definitely an elegant and tasty little treat! the medley of spices is great, and i think i might even be tempted to add some granola or crumb topping to give it a bit of textural contrast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant believe how easy it is to make this. Your photos are really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes the best food is the easier to make and the one with less ingredient, I often forget this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh forget those sugar junkies of yours!! I think this recipe is just right for an autumn night! Give it to me with some hot chocolate fudge and I'll be in heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally love subtle flavors and always cut amount of sugar in recipes...so this sounds perfect to me :)

    ReplyDelete