Saturday, September 12, 2009

Gigantes Plaki: Greek baked beans

tra⋅di⋅tion - [truh-dish-uhn]–noun

1. the handing down of statements, beliefs, legends, customs, information, etc., from generation to generation, esp. by word of mouth or by practice: a story that has come down to us by popular tradition.

Whilst we may have many old traditions, we are starting a new one tomorrow.

The first Sunday of each month, my aunties, mother-in-law and I will meet at my grandmother Sofia's house for a cooking lesson and the chance to record her recipes that have been passed down to her, and now unto us. I don't visit my grandmother as much as I want to as she lives over an hour away and when I go I like to spend half the day there, so I rarely see her besides holidays and family functions. Getting to see her at least once a month as well as being fed and getting a great recipe is a wonderful idea. Tomorrows recipe is one of my favourites, Coconut rice filo pastry dessert, I can't wait.

Tomorrow's event has inspired me to cook a rustic Greek lunch, this one is not a family recipe, but something I have eaten before as a child.


ease: 4/5 - lots of prep time but technically easy.
prep time: 12hours (overnight soaking, you could prep the rest of the ingredients the night before.)
cooking time: 1 hour & 15mins.
total: 13 hours & 15mins.

taste: 3.5/5. Ryan found this too 'vegetarian'. I however enjoyed the soft beans with tangy tomato, sweet carrot and aromatic garlic dotted with dill. Really moreish and filling.
I made the following modifications:
  • I used 1 tin of 400g diced tomatoes
  • 2 medium carrots
  • 1 bunch dill only
  • Once the carrots were soft I cooked the tomato part for only 15mins before adding it to the beans
  • I cooked it for 20mins at 180C and 10mins at 200C

would I make it again: No - hubby doesn't like baked beans much,

recipe: Gigantes Plaki: Greek baked beans

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you enjoyed this recipe! It's too bad that the hubs isn't a fan of really vegetarian food....or baked beans. I can see why it wasn't such a hit with him!

    What you're doing with your grandmother is a great idea. I love watching my father cook traditional food because when he just explains something to me he usually 'forgets' one or two key things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look good! I have been wanting to try Greek baked beans.

    ReplyDelete