Friday, June 26, 2009

Rhubarb and mascarpone French toast


I cannot start this post before mentioning the passing of my absolute favourite artist, Michael Jackson. From the age of three I was dancing around our living room to Billie Jean and shedding tears when the villains in Moonwalker 'hurt Michael'. Michael Jackson's music has stayed with me throughout my entire life; even at our wedding, all of our guests were dancing to his songs. I know my children will also grow up listening to his music. RIP.

Sadness aside, Winter has subsided for one day, allowing the sun full reign over the sky - not a single gloomy cloud in sight. There really is nothing like sunshine to lift the spirits.

Feeling rosily perky, I wanted to pass on some of my positive energy to my husband and my brother, and what better way than to make them something a little more special for lunch.

As you may have read in my previous posts, Rhubarb and I have a new but blossoming friendship. Determined to increase our relationship to 'good friends' I found a recipe that I was sure would showcase it's vibrancy in both looks and taste.


ease: 3.5/5. You cook the rhubarb two different ways, and you also cook the bread two different ways.
prep time: 15mins.
cooking time: 20mins.
total: 35mins.

taste: 4/5. I really loved this but the boys didn't. The mascarpone became like a sweet, vanilla custard, with a really gorgeous consistency. The rhubarb jam was tartly sweet with hints of fragrant cardamom finishing with sharp, robust citrus from the orange. I think you could do without the roasted rhubarb as it only adds some extra sweetness from the honey, which you could just drizzle on top. I loved the sweet/tartness but the boys felt like they were eating 'fruit on toast' - and not in a good way. I made the following modifications:
  • I halved the recipe except for the cardamom.
  • I used 1 tsp vanilla seed paste.
  • I had thinly sliced sourdough.
would I make it again: No - unfortunately no one else would want it again.

recipe: Rhubarb and mascarpone French toast

3 comments:

  1. It looks amazing never the less! that vanilla custard paired with the rhubarb is a yummy combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there anything rhubarb can't do? But, a bit disappointing that it was a success, yet you won't make it again. Maybe the recipe will inspire other incarnations or twists in other dishes down the road...who knows?

    Anyway, I found you on TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

    Best,
    Casey
    Editor
    www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this is my kind of french toast! I love the colour.

    ReplyDelete