Monday, June 22, 2009

French toast with bacon & maple syrup


Mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam, Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home; A charm from the sky seems to hallow us there, Which, seek through the world, is ne'er met with elsewhere. Home, home, sweet, sweet home! There's no place like home, oh, there's no place like home!

by John Howard

I had forgotten how much I love being home, and how much space there is in which to roam. After 12days of small hotel rooms and even more absurdly cramped and suffocating airplane seats, walking through my front door, with my dog waiting, I felt like I had been let out of a cage. I'm not sure how long my new-found appreciation for my house will last, but I am enjoying myself in the mean time.

The honeymoon was short but sweet; we relaxed on the Greek Islands of Mykonos and Santorini for 5 days before we set off to Malta to meet my husbands rather large family over the span of 4. I have never before crammed so much exploring and gatherings into 10days - as much as I enjoyed it I was also exhausted by the end. Traveling also means I tend to put aside daily routines, such as exfoliating, cleaning and more enjoyable activities such as cooking.

14 days is the longest I have ever gone without even making some toasted bread (I preferred the sweet pastries at the buffet breakfast - pain au chocolats, sooo good).

Jet lag has had me sleeping right through lunch, but today I was able to stay bright eyed and bushy tailed whilst making something to eat. Today's photo was taken by Ryan - out of 3 quick snaps on his way out to photograph his new car I was lucky enough to get one in focus. Thanks honey.

ease: 5/5.
prep time:
5mins.
cooking time: 15mins.
total: 20mins.

taste: 3.5/5. Some liked the sweetness of the maple syrup whilst others did not. I roasted my tomatoes which gave them a beautiful tart sweetness, the boys on the other hand did not want their tomatoes cooked which I think contributed to them not liking the maple syrup. The french toast was lovely and I think the salty bacon would have went well with the sweet tomatoes and syrup. My egg batter was enough to coat 5 pieces of toast - it depends on the size of your eggs.

would I make it again: Yes - once I get the boys to like roasted tomatoes.

recipe: French toast with bacon and maple syrup

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious, healthy and beautiful. Thanks for your cooking tip which makes these basic ingredients much more appetising.

    ReplyDelete