Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Coconut banana pikelets


No two bananas are ever alike.

Some are large, some small, some sweet, some bland. The rate at which they ripen also differs. Some of the more impatient ones arrive green in your fruit bowl, and overnight they have barely a fleck of yellow skin left beneath their dark brown coats. Others prefer to take their sweet time, remaining in their green pyjamas for over a week before gradually allowing a yellow fleck here and there to show. I prefer the ones who get comfy and after a few days have a nice mellow yellow glow with a couple of brown spots thrown in for good measure.

It took my bananas 7 days before I could use them to make these pikelets. And although they were decent, they were still a touch too firm under their grassy-tinged skins.


ease: 5/5.

prep time:
4mins.
cooking time: 3mins per pancake.
total: 10mins to make 8 pancakes.

taste: 3.5/5. I love coconut but the essence gave it an artificial taste - perhaps some coconut milk in place of the evaporated milk would give a more genuine coconut flavour. I would also add a few more banana slices next time.

would I make it again: Yes - super easy and very fast to make - but definitely needs some tweaking.

recipe: Coconut Banana Pikelets

3 comments:

  1. Banana gives a distinct flavor and taste to any recipe. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look SO good!! I need to make this. Thanks :) YAY for 5/5!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love bananas and love coconut....so your idea sounds heavenly to me!... I have to go do it right now!... :-)...

    ReplyDelete