Friday, April 3, 2009

Vanilla porridge with honeyed apples


Goodbye sunny 30C and welcome 22C stormy wetness -ah, the joys of Autumn.

Yesterday I was licking ice creams, and today I am craving hot mugs of steaming tea and warm, comforting foods. I love this weather, and it seems my husband is an Autumn convert too, although he wishes he had enjoyed yesterdays rendition of Summer a little more before Winter's recital played today.

I have finally gotten up early 4 days in a row (between the ranges of 7am to 9:15am) and it has allowed me to finish my work at around lunchtime (between the ranges of midday to 2pm) which gives me afternoon time to myself. As I was expecting last minute guests yesterday, I did a Tasmananian Devil and spun around in a whirlwind cleaning up the house. So apart from some backed up laundry I can spend time making big bowls of porridge that I am desperately wanting. I can also watch some old episodes of Angel I have recorded on my Foxtel IQ - RIP Andy Hallet , you brought me many smiles as the beloved character Lorne.

Donna Hay Magazine
April/May09

1 cup rolled oats
2 cups milk
1 cup water
1 vanilla bean, split and seed scraped
extra milk, maple syrup, brown sugar to serve
honeyed apples
2 red apples, sliced
2 tbs honey

For apples, heat non stick fry pan over high heat. Cook apple for 1minute each side. Add honey and cook for 2mins until golden.
Place oats, milk, water and vanilla bean in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8mins or until thickened. Pour into bowls and serve with apples, maple syrup, sugar and extra milk. Serves 4.

ease: 5/5.
prep time: 2mins.
cooking time: 8mins.
total: 10mins.

taste: 4.5/5. Really creamy, porridge with undertones of vanilla (I used 1tsp vanilla paste); I also used 2 cups full cream milk and 1 cup soy milk. Along with honey I added 1tbs of brown sugar to the apples whilst cooking. I also use wholegrain porridge which is why its not super white.

would I make it again: Yes.

3 comments:

  1. these pictures are truly beautiful! i love warm breakfasts - such a nice start to the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really beautiful breakfast. Makes you feel warm and homey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Generally, I dislike porridge, but this looks so delicious I'd devour it without thinking twice.

    ReplyDelete