Monday, March 16, 2009

Sage pork chops & sage scalloped potatoes


It's funny how some people discover something early on whilst others may never come across it. Certain songs or movies, foods or countries, every one's experiences are different.

A few years ago I watched a movie, 'Man on the Moon' with Jim Carey, if it were not for this movie I wouldn't have known who Andy Kaufman was. Years passed and I forgot about him, until last night when my husband came to bed singing 'I trusted you' over and over again until I demanded what he was on about. It seems that in his late night boredom he had stumbled across a video of Andy Kaufman, who he knew nothing about. I then remembered the movie and suggested to Ryan since he loved Andy Kaufman's sense of humour, to give the movie a whirl. It's nice to rediscover things you had forgotten about through someone else, be it an old song you once loved, or even a comedian who made you laugh.


A green thumb I do not have, but I manage to grow some herbs in ceramic pots on my patio which saves me a lot of money and also brings me a sense of accomplishment. Some herbs, such as parsley, get used more often than others; and at this moment my sage runneth over. I wanted to use it up and my first thought ran to Pork with sage, a very successful partnering. I wanted to utilise it in a side dish also and what better than yummy potatoes.



Crispy herbed pork cutlets
Faking It by Valli Little (2008)

Serves 4

3 cups panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup plain flour, seasoned
1 tbs fresh lemon thyme leaves
3/4 cup grated Parmesan
3 eggs beaten
4 pork cutlets
/14 cup olive oil
30g unsalted butter
8 sage sprigs

Combine breadcrumbs, flour, thyme and Parmesan in a food processor until fine. Season with salt and pepper. Place egg in separate bowl.
Use mallet to pound pork to even thickness. Dip pork in egg then press onto crumb mixture, coat evenly.
Heat the oil in a large non-stick fry pan over medium heat. Add the pork and fry for 2-3mins each side until golden. Remove and set aside.
Add the butter and sage to the pan. When butter begins to foam, return pork to the pan and coat in butter.

ease: 5/5.
prep time:
7mins.
cooking time: 8mins.
total: 15mins.

taste: 5/5. My hubby thought this was a smash hit and was mmming the whole time he ate it. The breadcrumb mixture makes way too much so I would suggest halving the amount of bread crumbs.

would I make it again: Yes.

Sage scalloped potaotes

ease: 5/5. Using a mandolin makes it easy to slice super thin. Just watch your fingers :).
prep time: 15mins.
cooking time: 45mins.
total: 1 hour.

taste: 3/5. I cooked this at 200C for 1hour and the potatoes still had not cooked. I sliced 4 medium potatoes using the mandolin to .75mm and I also used a little more cream and cheese. If anyone can tell me why they didn't cook please do. I couldn't really taste the sage (I used 24 large leaves) either.

would I make it again: No - I would perhaps try another scalloped potatoes recipe.

recipe: http://twospoons.wordpress.com/2008/12/26/comforting-sage-scalloped-potatoe/

No comments:

Post a Comment